My recipe is a slight variation on the traditional versions. The addition of tomato paste is my signature ..........it's my own twist and we love it this way!
Here's hoping that BR will read this post and be able to make this on his own :-)
BR's Pasta, serves 4
- 1 pound pasta (dried will do, but we prefer fresh, see my recipe for fresh pasta)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (this is about 3 large cloves)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (we like it spicy, so this is quite hot, adjust to suit)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt to taste....it will need more than you think!
Cook pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until garlic is softened. Be careful that the garlic does not over brown or burn, or it will be bitter. You are flavoring the oil, so low gentle heat and watch carefully. Once the garlic is softened and very aromatic (approx. 4 minutes), add the tomato paste and increase the heat just slightly. Warm the tomato paste through....don't allow it to burn. (about 3 minutes) Remove from heat.
Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Place cooked pasta in a bowl for tossing and serving. Add olive oil mixture and toss. Alternatively, add the cooked pasta to your saucepan and toss. Add the reserved cooking liquid a bit at a time if mixture seems dry. Serve immediately.
This is how the plate looks when BR is done........I think he likes it!